Horizons is the gifted/talented visual arts program for Florence School District One. Students in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades must be nominated by their teacher, art teacher, or parent to be considered for the program.
- To participate in the Horizons program students must be selected through a 3-step screening process:
- Students are nominated in the fall.
- Nominees prepare a portfolio of specific artworks. Horizons nominees submit three artworks.
- Portfolios are evaluated by art teachers at the school before submission to a district committee.
- The district committee evaluates the portfolios and interviews nominees in the spring.
- Students selected for the programs attend for 18 days in June.
- In the program, students keep a sketchbook journal and create a wide variety of artwork using advanced techniques and materials.
- The program culminates with an awards ceremony and exhibit of student work.
Horizons is held at Briggs as the centrally located elementary school. Students from all over the district participate in the program.